Google

Wednesday, 13 June 2007

Tongue-in-cheek- Pharma 101

Non-industry people tend to have a very macro view of the pharma industry. Just the other day, my hairstylist called me up and asked if i will be popping by for a haircut anytime soon and that she has an important issue to consult me about. Imagine my dismay when she takes out a bottle of herbal remedy,(readily available in the pseudo medicinal section beside the toiletries in watsons i'm pretty sure) and asked if i am able to procure a few bottles for her on the cheap. "It's really great for my joints" i quote her.

It's difficult to explain to the layman why is it that, although we are selling drugs, we don't actually 'sell' drugs. A couple of misconceptions that i often find myself having to explain:
1. Herbal remedies, mushrooms and other icky animal parts are NOT typical pharma products
2. Drugs can only be dispensed with prescriptions
3. Only doctors are able to prescribe and/or sell drugs
4. Drug companies only market and promote the drugs and do not do any direct selling, which is done through a distributor
5. You do NOT need a prescription to purchase herbal remedies, mushrooms and other icky animal parts.